- The retreat I offer is not a guided tour. I am solely responsible for the art and food sessions.
- You will be responsible for your own accommodation, transport and getting around, some food and social interaction is up to you. You will be entirely responsible for everything you need and do in Paternoster. I can book you into a Guesthouse – around R1300 per night if you like.
I prefer booking accommodation around Mosselbank and Voorstrand, avoid Kliprug unless you like noise. Look at reviews when you book. Many places show the beach as close when it is not. It’s worthwhile spending a little extra to find a good safe place.
- Please note that I do not organize lifts. If you are afraid of driving, you can organise an Uber or Taxi lift to Langebaan or Vredenburg, then rent a car at AVIS, Budget or Bidvest. I can help you with this.
- The workshops are in pencil, charcoal, oils and a little mixed media. No watercolour or acrylics are included except a little in mixed media sometimes. I start you off with drawing basics, but most of your art work will be pre-drawn to save time and stress. Most works are small (8 x 10 inches or slightly larger canvasses) for easy transportation. Most of the art sessions are pre-planned and arranged and cannot be changed.
- There are 12 art sessions in all, 10 with me and two with Dianne. All consists of different techniques and approaches to plein air, texture, wet-on-wet, clay and a few others as well as loosening up exercises. They are there for you to experience the sheer diversity of creativity.
- My method of teaching is step-by-step, methodical, keeping it as simple as possible. You need to be committed; when I join visiting artists, I do what they teach me, so I can learn from them. I also adjust my teaching to your skill level.
- The sessions are around 3 to 4 hours long. Some in studio, some outdoors, some on the beaches or surrounding locations. Some with great food experiences. You may need a few days after for rest…
- You don’t need to be able to climb rocks, but you need to be mobile.
- On the last day we do a recap and discuss the weeks’ work, with some exciting new exercises that helps you loosen up and consider art making in new ways.
- We travel to different localities by car, not sharing, you need to be able to drive and get there by yourself.
- Dietary needs: I can organise vegetarian – I am one. If any other exist, you need to organise this well in advance with the relevant restaurant or chef.
- Paternoster is in the Cape, so the weather is completely unpredictable. If we cannot paint outside, we will move to a studio.
- Paternoster has a high petty crime rate. As in any place in SA, you need to be careful where you place valuables, and especially where you book your accommodation. Please refer to the section below, marked accommodation. Never buy sea food from vendors walking the streets.
- Materials supplied: Oils (Georgian), Clay, Canvas Panels, Turpentine, Bottles, Rags, Palettes, Pastels and View Finder
- Materials you need to bring: Drawing Materials – You need a B and B6 Pencil, Charcoal, Sharpener and Eraser, Sketchbook (A5) and Bull Clips, Brushes – Good Quality Flat or Filbert Hog no 2 4 6 8 and a Point Brush no 0 for detail. I use Daler Rowney Georgian and a Palette Knife. If you are a Professional Artist – Bring your kit.
- Cancellation policies are strict.
- If you are returning to Paternoster with us, I will change your art program slightly and your fee will be less.
Please enquire for a booking form – I only take 12 persons, if more we add another week.